Monday, April 26, 2010

How can I apply my make-up to make my face look more feminine?

I have a short hairstyle, and I just don't feel feminine, I don't feel pretty. I only wear concealer if I have to, I have pretty clear skin. Sometimes I wear a bit of dark brown eyeliner, but that's it. I'm 15, white, with dark blonde hair.How can I apply my make-up to make my face look more feminine?
This is a pretty subjective issue, but there are a few things that will help, almost universally.





1. Emphasize only one feature. If you want to focus on your eyes, downplay your lips with a simple or neutral shade. If you want the focus on your lips, keep your eyes simple and neutral.





2. Eyes


Since you already use eyeliner, you're on the right track. When it comes to eyeliner, you'll probably want to start by lightly lining your top lid, then line only 3/4 of the lower lid, starting below your pupil, going out to the outer edge. Make sure to line as close to your eyelashes as possible, then smudge the line with a q-tip or smudging brush like this one: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0113%26amp;categoryId=B70 . The key is to make the liner soft by smudging, rather that the sharp, hard line that is naturally created by the eyeliner.


Once you're done with the liner, you'll want to move onto eyeshadow. This is a tricky topic, since it really depends on your eye shape and your desired look. For a simple eye, brush a neutral shade over the whole lid, then swipe a slightly darker shade into the crease. When choosing colors, try to complement or contrast your eye color. Almay has some great kits designed to work for each eye color: http://www.almay.com/pg/main/EyesIndex.aspx?catid=32%26amp;catnm=Eyes%26amp;subid=1000%26amp;subnm=SystemIndex


Once you're done with liner %26amp; shadow, carefully use a mascara to give your lashes a bit of color %26amp; definition. This is a big part of establishing a feminine look. You don't have to use a heavy mascara or one made to ';pump up'; your lashes. Just something basic for definition. Most women have a tube of Maybelline Great Lash mascara ( http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Eye/Mascara/great-lash-washable-mascara.htm ) in their makeup bag at all times, it's a classic that continues to stand the test of time because it just plain works well.





3. Lips


The right lip look can go a long way to giving you a more feminine look, especially with short hair. Again, if you are using a dramatic or intense look for your eyes, downplay your lips. A light gloss can give a little color, shine and pop. I personally love tinted lip ';stain'; products, like Clinique's Almost Lipstick ( http://www.clinique.com/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4903%26amp;PRODUCT_ID=PROD536 )because they give a bit of color without a heavy or messy feel.





4. Cheeks


Many women who use simple makeup pass on using blush because they don't think it's all that necessary, but if you're struggling to get that feminine look, blush will be a huge help. But you don't have to go overboard to make it work for you. Just sweep a light coat of your favorite blush (try to stick to pale pinks or soft peaches) from the apple of your cheek up and out along the cheekbone to your hairline. To find the apple, just smile, it's the fullest part of your cheek under your eyes. To make sure you're using the right amount of blush, swirl your brush in the blush, then tap the handle of the brush lightly against your palm to shake off the excess.





You don't have to use any of these products heavily to achieve a feminine look, in fact when in doubt, go lighter. Heavy makeup application can cause you to go too far down the masculine/feminine spectrum to the point that you'll end up looking a little ';drag-queeny.';





Here's a couple great resources to help: http://www.sephora.com/browse/article.jhtml?id=200024


http://www.makeuptips.org/





Plus, most makeup counters in department stores offer free makeovers (sometimes they require you to purchase a product used in the makeover). They can help you learn what to use and how to use it.How can I apply my make-up to make my face look more feminine?
Once years ago when I got a short haircut I thought I looked a little harsh. Eventually I realized that my eyebrows were too sparse for that cut. I learned to use eye shadow in the same color as my brows to make them a little fuller and it made a huge difference. Skin smoothed with concealer and foundation, eyes highlighted with liner and mascara, and a lighter lipstick also help soften one's look.
you don't need to make your face more feminine...you're beautiful the way you are! and if you wear make-up, the secret is that it looks as if you are not even wearing any...
Hey girl!


I answered this question a little while ago, so I hope you don't mind when I copy/paste the same answer, because it pertains to your question!





Apply a little bit of everything in moderation and you'll look fabulous! Here's how I do it:


1. Wash face with a gentle cleanser. Tone. Moisturize with a lightweight moisturizer. And since you are just starting (I'm assuming), it is important to maintain that healthy skin care routine so you won't suffer from (anymore) breakouts!





2. Apply foundation with fingers, sponge, or brush using light feathery strokes from the inside of your face (near nose) towards your hairline. I would recommend either Maybelline Pure Makeup or L'Oreal true match foundation- it helps provide that matte look without looking overdone in the slightest (I have oily skin, so it works out great for me). You can try other sheer foundations or tinted moisturizers (such as Almay Smart Shade or Touchpad foundations)...whatever you fancy. Just keep it light and natural however. It's better to get something light, because you can layer it for more coverage later on, and still keep it looking fresh and real! Of course, since you have great complexion, you don't have to wear foundation at all!





3. Dab on concealer slightly over problem areas and apply a very thin layer of foundation over it if it looks uneven or ';caked';.


3b. I also use undereye concealer for those times when I've had sleepless nights (exams!) and I look worse than a racoon come morning. It considerably brightens up/ ';wakens'; the eye area.





4. Set foundation and concealer with translucent loose powder. Try L'Oreal Translucide Powder.





5. I apply a light dusting of blush on the apples of my cheeks (smile big!), just enough to give me some color. Less really is more with this product! For a more natural look, try a bronzer that matches your skin shade instead of a blush. Whichever you prefer, let me recommend Maybelline Dream Mousse products; they are excellent! If you don't prefer the mousse products, try Maybelline's ExpertWear line instead.





6. A very thin line of eyeliner on my lower and upper lids. If you find eyeliner too much, just put on one coat of mascara on upper lashes only. It will really pop your eyes open and make you look gorgeous! Some eyeshadow if I'm feeling fancy; if not, my light layer of foundation generally does a wonderful job on its own. The key to looking more feminine however, would be to wear a slight shimmery eyeshadow in pink or champagne- N.Y.C. has great shimmers; layer on L'Oreal H.i.P eyeshadows for a more bold look, or wear alone for a more muted look.





7. Either some great lip balm (un/tinted) or lipgloss, and I'm ready to waltz out!!! Try Maybelline's Shiny-licious in Berry bella- it's a perfect berry pink that brightens up any complexion without being too overpowering!





Hope that helps :)





And makeup application is really all about practice. It took me two years to finally get it right. Just try it out on weekends at first or just when you're home. See the results- if you like, go for it! Don't like? Practice some more and you'll be a beauty diva in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment